Monday, February 21, 2011

Handling Customer Complaints Via Email

Our system is not perfect. There I've said. It doesn't sound worse compared to "We've got a shitty system" but to say something negative about your own product will be comparable to diving to a quicksand; it feels like a slow, gritty, muddy death.

This admission might come in handy when my boss hands out my termination contract but the one thing I consistently noticed when I interact with our clients is..hey they're still talking to us! Well aside from that obvious fact, I'm guessing there are a couple of reasons why customers who had experienced a little inconvenience in our system would still take the time to email us, particularly me. The following would be some of my personal observations why inconvenienced customers still remains, our customers:



1.)  Respond to queries as quickly as possible.

It may not be that much of a big deal but I usually heed the Golden Rule regarding this pointer: Do unto others what you want others want to do unto you. I prefer receiving answers to my email the soonest time possible, so I do that unto others as well.











2.) Give an update once you receive the update.

This still corresponds with the Goldren Rule but the thing is, you don't have to email me to remind me about your issue. They are all quietly buzzing inside my brain and are visibly posted in my post-its on my little bulletin board so yes, I do keep track of everything that's been happening in your account. You know why? 'Coz if I were in our customer's shoes, I'd also like someone to seem to care to my concerns and that remembers me when I follow-up about them.



3.) Customize your letter

I rarely send out a generic email and I always try to inflect my "voice" as a writer might say, in my messages. As much as possible, I'd like our customers to feel that they can talk to me whenever they want and I'll be all ears. Religion and Justin Bieber topics would be an exception though.



4.) Be honest about setbacks. 

I don't leave client's hanging regarding their concerns; I tell them straight up that there has been some issues inside our department and there would some delays in fixing their concerns. I wouldn't want them to expect otherwise so might as well be honest to them.



5.) When all else fails, apologize.

I'm assuming, but I guess it's demeaning to some especially when you're already a hotshot (I remember an article saying that when Steve Jobs answers a customer complaint, it's not in the most friendliest tone. Why would he need to be friendly, he's freaking Jobs for chrissakes!) but hey, I'm still cool about being not a hotshot..yet. So I apologize. Profusely.



I'm not saying this things work all the time and will work for all but hey it works for me.  It's a continuous learning process so also, try to note down what kind of approach best works for a type of customer. But always remember; a customer will survive without your business, but a business can't survive without it's customers. So as the song by Bachelor Girl's go..





Don't try me
Lie to Me
Patronise me
Talk down to my friends
Don't neglect me
Forget me
Be angry at me
Say Things to offend


But you can treat me good
Anytime you like
Show me some kindness if I fluke it right
You can treat me good anytime at all
A little caring's all I'm asking for

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment