Friday, April 8, 2011

A Former Snobbish Salesman Tales of Selecting Customers


Back when I was working as a sales executive, what probably irked me most was the "time-wasters." In my opinion (back then), they were the so-called customers who'd spend an hour inside your store, asking the most inane questions and leaving with no purchase at hand. Talking to one absolutely makes me livid, especially if I can't seem to escape their multiple guns of questioning and I'd see other potential customers walking around the store, seemingly ready and able to buy anything we had to offer.

My inexperience then would always lead me to these so called "time-wasters." I once presented for 45 minutes to 3 walk-in customers who all had the right questions for me but it turns out, they just wanted to view and enjoy the merchandise.

I'd observed my boss then who in my book, was just one of the best salesman I've ever met and he seemed to always pick the best customers;the ones who were capable and were ready to purchase something from the store. These customers would be talking to my boss for 15 minutes to almost an hour and next thing you know, they were filling out forms, giving out their credit cards and asking when  would the merchandise be delivered to their homes.

There were three things I noticed about these customers. This might sound a bit judgmental but apparently customers like these usually possesses the following:


1.) Multiple yet sensible questions. 

You get the feeling that they've researched the products beforehand and they know so much already that they just wanted to confirm some things with you.


They're no Brad Pitt but they sure are packing..
2.) Simple looking people but with killer bling-blings.

You might get turned off with someone wearing a shirt with a hole in it or someone who hasn't showered or in worst cases, is averse to using deodorant but when it comes to bling-blings, holy molly, you would never guess they are THAT affluent and loaded individuals who can afford to buy the whole company out. Once I noticed a guy who had his shirt inside out and the colors were already a bit dull but his watch was a Rolex, which was quite unnerving. He didn't seem the type to afford a watch like that and there he was, buying a whole set of merchandise.


3.) Family-oriented men

Literally speaking, they bring their whole family to presentations. There would be kids running around the store, the wives looking bored, their maids lingering outside and when the presentation begins, they'd enthusiastically invite everyone to look at the merchandise, ask everyone's opinion and when they hear a resounding affirmative reaction, would instantly buy the product.

Once I've figured the patterns of the best customers, I'd constantly sought out these people and practically ignore or just give a curt nod, answer or smile to the others. Which my former boss noticed.

Apparently, you don't ignore customers just because they don't have expensive watches or they ask the stupidest questions. You entertain all of them and you ask probing questions and that's when you identify customers who are ready to buy as oppose to those who are just looking around. You don't just base the buying power of a prospect on their physical assets or their initial queries; you probe around and ask the right questions.

It was quite a lesson to learn as not only did I force myself to look past a customer's bearing or frivolities, I had to learn to ask the right kinds of questions. Being snotty might have it's advantages for some people, but not when it comes to selling.

Lesson learned: Don't be such a snob seller and be a great inquirer.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Julie, Interesting blog and I've posted one of your articles on my FB page, if that's OK. Thanks & regards, Mike
    @mbooton

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's more than okay mike, thanks as well! :)

    ReplyDelete