Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dickhead journalist joked about Sexual Assault on Twitter

Joking privately about a journalist who was sexually assaulted in Egypt is one thing. But when you do it over Twitter, there is hell to pay my man.

If you've heard about what's happening in Egypt, you're probably familiar with Lara Logan as well. She was oneof the journalists who was covering the protests in Egypt and was sexually assaulted  and apparently beaten by a mob that was celebrating the downfall their ex-president.

I don't see any reason to joke about what happened to her but apparently, Nir Rosen does. Nir Rosen is an American journalist who has worked in Afghanistan and who obviously needs some pointers in using Twitter.

If you want to follow the conversation about him, you can do so by typing in @nirrosen over Twitter but below are the messages that Rosen tweeted. I got this from Adweek. 

Lara Logan had to outdo Anderson. Where was her buddy McCrystal.

Yes yes its wrong what happened to her. Of course. I don’t support that. But, it would have been funny if it happened to Anderson too. 

Jesus Christ, at a moment when she is going to become a martyr and glorified we should at least remember her role as a major war monger

Look, she was probably groped like thousands of other women, which is still wrong, but if it was worse than I’m sorry. 

i apologize and take it back. joking with friends got out of line when i didnt want to back down. forgot twitter is not exactly private

As someone who's devoted his career to defending victims and supporting justice, I'm very ashamed for my insensitive and offensive comments 

on the job you get used to making jokes about our own death, other people's deaths, horrors, you forget that you sound like a dick at home

to the 500 people new twitter followers and the old ones. I did not mean it and i apologize again. it was an inappropriate unaccetable joke

but there is no point following me, i am done tweeting. too ashamed of how i have hurt others and the false impression i gave of who i am

I feel I should make one last statement. I offer my deepest apologies to Ms. Logan, her friends and her family. I never meant to hurt anyone

I know that in a matter of seconds with a thoughtless joke, I brought shame upon myself and my family and added insult to Ms. Logan's injury

In a few minutes of insensitive and sadistic banter meant to childishly provoke a few acquaintances my thoughtless words were seen by many thousands, and hurt many thousands.

Dude, if you want to joke around in private on Twitter, you can do so by going to your Settings and clicking on Tweet Privacy. Only those people you have approved of can follow and read your tweets. And I wonder what would happen to your career after this..



I've also seen this kind of noob behaviour with a local actor, one of his dickhead friends asked how did it feel to touch the boobs of a local actress. (They were doing a TV show together and one of the scenes required him to "accidentally" touch the boobs of that actress). I can't remember the exact words but he tweeted happily, "It's heaven man, her boobs are so soft and big, I feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world!" Turns out, the actress saw the tweet and there was hell to pay afterwards.

Lesson learned: Dont' treat Twitter like you're on a private conversation. Unless you did put your Twitter on private settings, be mindful of your Tweets.



No comments:

Post a Comment